Friday, November 16, 2007

Tooth du Jour!

Friday's are wonderful...only half day of patients and then the weekend!

But before we go...here is one to hold you over till Monday...
Here is one of my wonderful patients... complaining of pain in the lower right region...all I see that might be suspicious is a tooth with an old silver filling...but it looks solid and the x-ray doesn't really show a problem. I, or rather we, decide to replace it since it looks pretty lousy anyways...and just maybe her pain will subside.

Fig. 1 shows our tooth du jour with the intact silver filling...however when I removed the filling I saw that there was most certainly decay lurking underneath...fig. 2.

Much to my dismay, the decay was actually much deeper than I expected...see fig. 3, which shows that even after the initial excavation there was still more decay.
Finally....and I say that because I am now getting close to the nerve...I reach a point where although there is still some staining...it is not decay..just stained tooth structure...fig 4.
At this point the matrix retainer is already in place and I am able to bond in a beautiful tooth colored restoration.


So until Monday...

No comments: