Monday, November 12, 2007

Break Away




It has been a very busy day today...quite a few emergencies today and here is the one of them....
a gentleman had a lower molar with a large silver filling...he called the office saying something broke off and he would like to come in as soon as possible. We brought him in and clinical exam revealed that on his lower left first molar, he broke an entire section of tooth...the disto-lingual cusp. The filling was still intact but the filling had weakened the tooth and the result was the cusp breaking away....see photo..
After giving him a local anesthetic I proceeded to remove the entire filling...I found that there had been some leakage around the old filling so I excavated the decay until I was down to healthy tooth structure all around. I then placed a tooth colored base or foundation into the entire area. The patient was then dismissed and was re-appointed for another visit. The patient will need a cap or crown to restore this tooth as the affected area is much too large for a filling.

The foundation that I placed will keep the patient comfortable until next visit when I can begin the crown.

No comments: