Thursday, January 3, 2008

Drill-etch-glue-fill-polish

I have been away lately due to a death in the family...and have been very busy setting up a blog for the family....
But now I am back and here we have one of my usual cases of bonding an eroded tooth.
In our first figure you can see that this was bonded many years ago but both the bonding and the tooth have eroded even more..

the first step is to drill away the old bonding and prep the tooth to accept a new bonded filling...so i drill away until I am down to clean fresh tooth structure...but that is not all...to get the filling to stick I have to first use a conditioner to etch the surface of the tooth..and that is what this next photo shows...if you look carefully you can see that the arrows are pointing to a frosty surface...that is etched enamel which has micro-porosities...

At this point I take the bonding agent...which is just a fancy term for glue and lightly apply it to our tooth surface....

Once this layer is hardened with my bonding light I then apply the filling material until it blends in with the rest of the tooth...
The filling can now be polished and we have a nice smooth surface ...

No comments: